Poke balls are purchasable and obtainable items used by Pokemon Trainers to catch Pokemon. Of all items in Pokemon Go, these are the most important tool at your disposal. At the early stages of the game, you will be handed 50 Poke balls. As you will almost immediately discover, they disappear fast as you seek to capture any Pokemon that come your way. This is particularly a major problem if you are just starting out.
Before we tell you how to get more Poke balls, let’s look at the basics using them.
How to Use Poke Balls in Pokemon Go
Once you find a wild Pokemon, you’ll need to catch them by flickng your Poke balls in their direction. However, as simple as it sounds, it’s anythig but.
- Tap and hold onto the Poke ball
- Wait for a few seconds until a glowing green, red or orange ring is at its smallest diameter. Note that the ring’s color will be determined by the Pokemon that you encounter
- Flick your finger directly towards the Pokemon before releasing your hold on the screen
- If you do it correctly, you will bop the Pokemon one the head and it will then disappear into the Poke Ball
You can also be awarded experience bonuses in the depending on where the type of toss your throw with your Poke ball.
- Nice: A nice toss is worth 10XP. This type of bonus involves you throwing the ball when the aiming circle is at it’s widest. To do this, tap and hold the balls so the circle becomes small. As you do this, try to hit the Pokemon in the head with your ball.
- Great: A great bonus will net you 50XP. For this bonus, throw you Poke ball somwhere between the smallest sized circle and the largest size. Your Pokemon aim needs to be directly in the center.
- Excellent: An excellent bonus wiill bring you 100XP. For this bonus, you need to snag a Pokemon when the circle is at its absolute smallest with the Pokemon directly in the middle of your sight. This type of thro is also a very strong gurantee to catch your Pokemon.
- Curveball: A curveball will bring you 10XP. For this throw, toss your ball with a spin. This can be done clockwise or counter clockwise.
As you scale through the levels, you will get other super Poke balls that will not only allow you to catch even the most stubborn Pokemon but also increase your chances of catching Pokemon. Such balls include the Great Balls, Ultra Balls, and the Master Ball.
Where Can I Find a Poke Balls?
The easiest way to obtain a free Poke Ball is to visit a PokeStop. Because Poke balls are somewhat necessary for every move at the early stages of the game, they are the most common items. You may find as much as four balls every time you visit a Poke Stop.
What if you have run out of Poke balls (or are about to) and there are none at the Poke Stop? You can always get more balls by purchasing them at the in-game store. Note that you will use real world money in exchange for PokeCoins which you will use to buy the balls.
You will buy 20 Poke balls will cost you 100 PokeCoins, 200 Poke balls for 800 PokeCoins and 100 Poke balls for 460 PokeCoins. You will decide the number of Poke balls you need at any given time. It is important to note that you will often receive a batch of Poke balls if every level you manage to unlock.